Tuesday, 13 June 2017
Membership means you can
- Meet others interested having a voice in women’s issues at local, state, federal and international levels
- Build your leadership and community advancement skills by participating in the running of our incorporated association
- Participate in the voting process at the Annual General Meeting
- Share your knowledge, skills & experience as a volunteer, speaker or mentor
- Enjoy member benefits, including newsletters, reports and special event rates
- Contribute financially to support our Civics and Citizenship program including the annual My Vote My Voice student event at the Parliament of Victoria
NCW Victoria has been involved for over a century in advocating for the wellbeing of women, children and families and actively promoting the status of and respect for women. A current concern is number of children placed in out of home State care and the numbers of young people engaged in anti-social behaviour.
The NCW Victoria ‘Troubled Youth Forum’ on Wednesday 24 May 2017 at the Parliament of Victoria aimed to throw light on where and when systemic failures have occurred in the lives of children now appearing in the Victorian justice system. It seems society is failing some children.
What went wrong in the lives of these kids? Are children in the justice system because of their lack of tender, loving family support or safe state care?
Many children in the Youth Justice System are impaired mentally. Do we know why? Do we know how many? Do we have processes for identifying young children at risk and creating suitable care and educational pathways for these children? Children are not born criminals after all.
>> Download the Outcomes Report From the 24 May Forum
From the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child:
*The child shall enjoy special protection, and shall be given opportunities and facilities, by law and by other means, to enable him to develop physically, mentally, morally, spiritually and socially in a healthy and normal manner and in conditions of freedom and dignity.